Noun Clauses
¿What is this?
Is a particular category of nouns. A noun may belong to a given class because of the characteristic features of its referent, such as gender, animacy, shape, but such designations are often clearly conventional.
A noun clause functions as a noun, often as a direct object. A noun clause can be introduced by that.
- I didn’t know THAT Stephen King wrote IT.
- I think THAT my girlfriend is cheating on me.
- Did you forget THAT her birthday was few days ago?
Vocabulary
Verbs:
- agree
- hear
- think
- see
- believe
- understand
- feel
- hope
- suppose
- forget
- doubt
- remember
- guess
- know
Adjectives:
- disappointed
- happy
- sad
- sorry
- sure
- surprised
Some Rules:
- When a noun clause functions as a direct object, that may be omitted, especially in speaking.
I didn’t know he bought this car.
- In short answers, use so to replace a noun clause after the verbs think, believe, guess, and hope.
A: Does Lamborghini have a new car out?B: I think so. / I believe so. / I guess so. / I hopeso.(so = that Lamborghini has a new car out)
- A noun clause can also be an adjective complement.
It’s interesting (that) she bought a new house.I’m surprised (that) he hasn’t bought a new house yet. .


Comments
Post a Comment